Thursday, December 31, 2009

10 years ago

Ten years ago it was the Y2K "scare" and ringing in the new year was a little scary but whatever. I remember the night well; my parents had a party and I spent most of the evening with my bestest friend Jennie. It was also her 18th birthday (yes she is a tax baby). We were pretty good kids, never did anything bad or got in trouble, at least that anyone knew about. Once though we had a bit of rum in our cherry Coke before going to our college English class. I'd bought a little bottle on a cruise in Mexico where the drinking age was 18. Woohoo! Anyway on New Years Eve 1999 we decided to try one of my dad's cigars, since we were both of age to smoke. I was very uncool about it, and took a drag (or whatever it's called) and tried to blow the smoke out of my mouth whilst still holding the cigar in my lips. The cigar fell out and burned me on the hand. Very uncool!

That story isn't the point of this post...

My point is 10 years ago I was 18, a senior in high school, planning on attending the UW in the fall, and really had no responsibility whatsoever. The idea of not being 18 and instead being 28 with a husband and 3 kids (almost) seemed so far in the future it wouldn't even be worth considering. But that's my life now. A lot of responsibility, lots to do, lots to consider. And I love it. God is good and I'm learning more through my daily tasks than I even could imagine as an 18 year old.

I imagined 10 years ago if I did have any kids by now I'd also be working full or part time and would be busy busy outside the home, with kids in classes and camps, etc. But now I look at our calendar and it kind of looks like we don't do much...at least compared to the idea I had in my head of what busy is. We aren't always going places, but we are very busy inside our home.

I'm not really sure that was the point of this post either...I think I'm just rambling. So nevermind, but Happy New Year!

:)

1 comment:

Ashley L said...

This is a sweet post. I love it. You are very blessed indeed!