Monday, April 30, 2007

Beans Beans the Magical Fruit

Beans, beans, the magical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So let's eat beans for every meal!

I wish beans were magical enough to get themselves unstuck from a nostril of a toddler.

So last week during bible study, the kids were in Caley's room playing under the supervision of our lovely teenage sitter Sadie. Caley had been playing with a noisemaker I made out of an Easter egg filled with dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans. I remember thinking when she started playing with it, "I need to remember to take that away because it could open and make a mess." Well, everyone started showing up and I forgot about the egg. It opened at some point and there were chickpeas around her room, which Sadie tried to pick up and move away from the kids. Halfway through bible study Sadie called down to me and I went upstairs. Caley had stuffed a bean up her nose, and it wasn't coming out. I could see it, and with tweezers it'd come out, but I knew Caley would have a fit. She actually looked really funny, just like she had a stuffy nose, and while it was in there she really didn't seem to mind beyond being a little uncomfortable. My friend Angela and I held her down, and I tried to get it out, but she was wailing so much it made me really scared, more to see my daughter in such distress than anything else. Thankfully my friend Casey took control and I held Caley while she tweezered it out. After it was out, Caley was fine. This is yet another reason I love my women's community group: we pray for each other, watch each other's kids, and when the time comes get beans out of their bodies.

Alas, I doubt this is the last time one of my kids will shove something in a crevice, but hopefully it has taught me not to be stupid and leave nostril-sized/shaped items lying around.

No comments: