Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pickleball

Ah....pickleball. I love pickleball. I loooooooooooove it. I'm so excited that it is spring time and the court next to my workplace is dry and ready for another year of pounding. A couple guys at work and I are splitting the cost of a new outdoor net. If anyone has played tennis, badminton or ping pong, it is pretty much a cross of those three. IMHO it is more fun than all of those combined. Rallies are fast and last longer, and it isn't as frustrating as tennis. Sure, the name of the sport doesn't spring to mind toned masculine men roughing it out with heavy weaponry in some caged enclosure. At least you won't hear something like "Hey Randy, be a sport and toss me the birdy." Nice short shorts Randy.

I scoured the internet for a good "hardcore" video of singles pickleball, and couldn't find even one. The ones on youtube are either of seasoned citizens playing doubles at a snails pace, or kids goofing around in gym class. Instead, here's a badminton video that reminds me of the fast speed, coordination and quickness that is required for a healthy game of pickleball.



Here's an ok video, skip to the end to see some high school noobs play to give you an idea of how the game is played. They're playing doubles which is a little slow for my taste - singles is best!

No comments: