Saturday, May 23, 2009

Garden Day!

I'm so excited to post this!! Last summer I decided to start a garden, but it was a little too late and I had no clue what I was doing. So I started by making a compost bin and getting the soil ready. We've been composting since then and it's working well. The bins are now behind the fence because they can get pretty stinky. They're also very heavy. I'm not sure what to do when I actually need to move it to the garden.

In April I planted some seeds and waited, waited, waited. I planted lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, green beans, radishes, zinnias (flowers), carrots and sugar peas. About a month ago we started getting some bean sprouts, a bunch of radishes, some spinach, sugar peas, and a bit of lettuce. And lots and lots and lots of weeds. There were so many weeds it looked more like a weed garden. Every few days I'd spend a while outside picking weeds, but it was taking forever. Bill would also yell, "How's your weed garden coming along?" (I didn't take any pictures of the garden 'o weeds because it was really embarassing!)

But today my mother-in-law, the greatest of them all, visited and went to town pulling the weeds. We also transplanted some of the spinach sprouts and she gave me some onion sprouts. She also built a lattice for the sugar peas. Now the garden looks ship-shape and I can't wait to reap the fruits, I mean vegetables, of my/our labor. I even got a first crop of radishes for a salad! Woohoo!!

No comments: