Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Butts

I went to a family reunion a few years ago and my cousin (actually 2nd cousin, and Facebook friend) Ray was telling me how their family had been on vacation for several weeks and just returned. Upon returning, their family was in dire need of a Costco run. He turned to me and said, "Addie, I spent more money than you can imagine on our butts. Toilet paper, wipes, diapers, etc." It was so hilarious, especially if you can imagine Ray saying it (if you know him). It's made me think how my job as a wife and mother is closely tied to butts.

I spend all day wiping butts, washing butts, feeding mouths which in turn work the butts, washing and folding clothing for the butts, not to mention preparing to find the best deals on what covers and cleans the butts, then in turn procuring said deals. This doesn't even touch on cleaning up the bathroom. It doesn't stop when all my kids are done with diapers. We're in for the long haul.

And while yes it's nasty with the butt chooses to touch me whilst being covered in poo, or when one of the girls (or Bill) toots in my face, it's also hilarious and makes my job so much more interesting and joyful. I'm thankful that God has given me these butts. If these butts didn't work, we'd have a lot of worries. God has given me three healthy butts and it's my service to God and them in caring for them and keeping them healthy.

So maybe it's a pain (in the butt) to continually buy diapers and wipes, toilet paper and new underwear, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

1 comment:

bridget said...

Hilarious Addie! I laughed so hard in Starbucks reading this!!!