Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 4: A Favorite Book

I'm not sure what my favorite book is of all time. For being a former English major, I don't read very much, except online things. This makes me sad and I'm hoping to change my amount of reading by making more time for it, to read both fiction and non-fiction.
However, I aspire to being a big reader and helping my kids love reading. I hope they know good books from "twaddle" and look to reading before other hobbies.
One of my favorite books is "Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I never read these books as a kid and wish I had. I love how she describes their daily life and the care and attention that goes into everything they do. Within the first few chapters she intricately details how Ma makes head cheese. Awesome.
I've been reading the other books in the Little House series and am currently on "Farmer Boy." I hope to read all these series with the girls and do some coordinating homeschooling curricula. Maybe not to the extent of making head cheese, but at least learning about the process. So far Caley and I have read "Little House in the Big Woods" and she really enjoyed it, especially when we started watching the Little House TV show videos from the library. It's such wholesome entertainment, with good family values, I can't wait to read the books with our kids.

No comments: